Sunday 18 December 2011

A book is for life, not just for Christmas

Friends and family look away now..! It seems that I have mostly bought books as Christmas gifts this year! I spend most of my time whilst out shopping browsing book stores and it turns out I have found a book for suitable for everyone!

For me Christmas is all about spending time with family, indulging in lots of food and spending time indoors out of the cold, either playing board games or wrapped up warm engrossed in a book. As a child I loved receiving annuals and books by my favourite authors (Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Gerald Durrell) and sitting quietly in the corner reading them cover to cover.

My family are all big readers and children are encouraged to have a love of literature. This year I have bought the younger members of the family some amazing picture books including their favourite characters. I think reading is so important to learn creative and imaginative skills and to discover new worlds and experiences through the medium of words.
Other Christmas gifts range from light-hearted festive reads and 'chick-lit' to crime thrillers, fantasy novels and beautiful cookery books. I can't wait to see everyone crowded around the tree eagerly flicking through their new, shiny books!

And me? I am hoping for lots of new reads to start off my new year - from my much hinted must-read list to brand new discoveries and recommendations. And from the shapes of some some of my presents, I don't think I am going to be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment