Sunday 22 April 2012

World Book Night

After visiting previous World Book Night events and being very lucky to receive the free books given out, this year I am very excited to be a book giver - handing out free copies of my favourite ever novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen! I can't wait to share this brilliant story to non-readers and hope to encourage a lifetime love of literature. I have excitedly written the unique identification numbers into each book and can't wait to see how far each one travels. If you do receive a book this World Book Night, please do read it and pass it on!

On the eve of this special event, which shares the birthday and day of death of William Shakespeare, I thought I would share the list of ten books which I submitted to the WBN organisers many months ago. This list has probably changed now as I have read so many wonderful books since then, and my favourite books differ depending on what kind of mood I'm in, but these are the books that came into my mind on that particular day:

1) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
In my opinion the perfect novel full of colourful characters, drama, romance and of course the famous Austen wit! Guaranteed to make you laugh out loud and for Lizzie, Darcy, Mrs Bennet, Mr Collins et al will stay in your memory forever!

2) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The story of a young orphan, with a terrible childhood growing up in her horrible Aunt's house, being sent to boarding school and finally becoming a governess to the ward of the mysterious Mr Rochester. Dark, brooding and mysterious, this Gothic novel has one of the most emotional endings I have ever read.

3) Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
The tragic tale of Tess Durbeyfield is a beautiful and heart-breaking story. The descriptions of the Dorset landscape are stunning and Hardy gives a masterclass in his writing technique.
4) Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The tale of two very different magicians in an epic battle. Clarke creates a magical world, which takes a while to get into, but once there, you will never want to leave. Bold, exciting and unlike anything else I have ever read, the footnotes throughout add to this unique story.

5) Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
I read this for my English Lit A Level and have never been able to forget it. Faulks writes about the horror and pain of World War One like no one else. A book that everyone should read.

6) The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Another book set during the war, this time WWII. A young German girl and her foster parents hide and protect a Jewish fist-fighter during the height of Nazi Germany. Narrated by Death, this is a book full of emotion.

7) Sepulchre by Kate Mosse
I love Kate Mosse's books and writing style and this is my favourite one so far. Full of well researched historical detail and is genuinely spooky.

8) The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A house and family full of secrets and Gothic suspense. Hints of Jane Eyre, The Woman In Black and The Turn Of The Screw all blended together.

9) The House At Riverton by Kate Morton
Kate Morton is one of my favourite authors with all of her books being equally good, but I decided to go with her debut. An elderly woman remembers her time working in the household of Riverton and her part in the family's secrets and ultimately its tragedy.

10) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K Rowling
Such an amazing series of books, this one is possibly my favourite and the most magical as it first transports us to the magical world of Hogwarts and we learn words such as muggle, quidditch and Gryffindor.

I would highly recommend reading all of the above books, if you have done, or if you do in the future, I would love to know what you think of them! Plus, let me know which books you think everyone should read...

And if there was ever a short film to celebrate books and a love of reading, then this is it...



Happy World Book Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment